Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spring Awakening by Frank Wedekind (translated by Jonathan Franzen)



Honesty Time: I had no idea what was starting when I stumbled upon this at the Tattered Cover a few years ago. I picked it up simply because I was trying to read a new play each month. And it was translated by Jonathan Franzen.

The first time I read it, I basically had no idea what was going on....then I saw an announcement that the tour was coming to Denver. A year and a half later, I saw the show. AND. WENT. APESHIT. How it works, I haven't a clue. Text from late 1800s Germany? Music and choreography from late (19)90s pop schamltzer Duncan Sheik and lyrics by Stephen Sater? That'll make sense. BUT SOMEHOW IT DOES. Conceived and written over one hundred years and continents apart, the musical adaptation of this script made it understandable for this one.

I've gone back to reread it a third time after seeing it on stage again this week. (Yup, I'm the girl who'll be listening to the soundtrack for the next 2 months, as well.)

What you need to know: this is a harshly realistic portrait of adolescence. Regardless of time or place, there seems to be a disconnect when one enters into a time of self-discovery. Melchior, Moritz, Wendla, Ilse and their classmates deal with everything from belief to abuse, rape to the inevitable topics of abortion and suicide. If you're into plays or showtunes, grab a copy of the soundtrack first. Then tackle the script.

No comments:

Post a Comment