Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Tomboy by Liz Prince

On puberty (or Growing and Changing): 
"It was seeming less and less likely that I would become a boy, but I'd never considered that I was becoming a woman. I guess my grasp of biology wasn't so great in 6th grade."

On cheerleaders and double standards: 
"A boy can be celebrated because of his personality and talents, regardless of how he looks. In fact, talent can make a guy attractive who may not be by traditional standards. (long hair, scraggly chin pubes, kinda scrawny)" 

"But a girl is usually only popular if she looks good. (well groomed hair, blemishless face, perfect teeth, willingness to wear revealing clothing)" 

"I wanted to be celebrated for being funny and a good artist. Of course I wanted to look good too, but on my own terms. (do nothing hair, zits-a-plenty, baggy boys clothes)" 

On sexually- oriented bullying: 
"Don't make me prove how much of a man I am....Just kidding, Don't get your hopes up, stupid." 

"The stereotype of the butch lesbian has plagued me my whole life, but I didn't dress like a boy to attract girls: I dress like a boy because it feels natural to me. I wasn't against being gay. I was against being bullied. And I was tired of having these false labels applied to me."

Perhaps my favorite simple scene takes place between Liz and her mentor, Harley, who publishes a zine and offers to meet regularly for writing sessions. This exchange really resonates, because it's so simple in its complexity. There is so much truth and heartbreak in these subjects.

"I was thinking about how (I'm) different from other girls. And how we used to talk about hating girls, and that I maybe wasn't supposed to be one."
"What makes you thin you aren't meant to be a girl?"
"Well, do I look like a girl? I don't wear make-up and dresses!" 
"Sure, but those things don't define a girl."
"It's more than the clothes though, it's like girls are expected to act a way that I don't like." 
"It's an interesting idea, but I would challenge you to decide: Do you hate girls? Or do you hate the expectations put on girls by society?"
"Is there a difference?" 


see also: swimming in tshirts, ghostbusters, chasing boys to kiss them, girl scouts, little league, third wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment