Thursday, July 25, 2019

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi M. Durrow

"I always know when they start talking about me or white folks because they start to talk real low. Sometimes I think that I can hear better because I have one good ear. No matter how softly they whisper I can hear them."

"At school everything about black history you learn in one month. I already learned about most of the things in my other school. The main ones are slavery and how Lincoln made the slaves free...I hear the stories different no though. Whatever those things had to do with each other, I know now that they also had something to do with me." 

"I like it when people give me clues to how I should respond."

"I am a good student if not a good girl. Those are the things I will make count. The other things won't count. I can make things not count by writing them down any way I want....It's not a true story, but I tell it to myself. What difference does it make anyway? I tell myself that story because it could be true. i could have happened that way. If there's no on else to tell another side -- the only story that can be told is the story that becomes true."

No comments:

Post a Comment