Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel

"But speaking of apparel," she said suddenly, "clothing can actually be germane to a discussion of pedagogy. What does a uniform say about the culture of a school, for example? What does it tell us about the framework or fabric, if you will, of an institution? AN intentional limitation of choice shows a value being placed on a willingness to conform, but to what exactly? Nd does the uniform mold the child or does the child need intrinsically to fit into a certain mold? And in either case, what are the psychological ramifications in an adolescent as he or she develops autonomy? If I were considering this school, as a student I mean, I would seriously ask myself, 'If business attire is required, is this the right place for me? Do I want to get dressed up every day like I/m going to a Michelle Bachmann rally?' and personally I think my answer would be "No,' no offense to Hudson, of course. The kids I saw in the lobby look very professional and hardworking. Las-abiding. Self-motivated. Something tells me that hyperactive fee spirits who are lacking in impulse control, having problems with executive function skills, and struggling to reach Piaget's formal operaitonal stage wouldn't do too well at a school like this, am I right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment