Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

Captivating. Intriguing. Spellbinding. This book was all of those things. For about the first three chapters. Then I spent too much time trying to figure out what the twist of the book was. All of the media and publicity surrounding The Wife Between Us focuses on assumptions and the inevitable (but supposedly incorrect) conclusions the reader may make. SPOILER ALERT: it's not so innovative. Seriously over-hyped. After 150 pages I didn't care anymore, and only wanted to finish so that I could be in the know.

"One of my psychology podcasts featured the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. It's when you become aware of something - the name of an obscure band, say, or a new type of pasta - and it seems to suddenly appear everywhere. Frequency illusion, it's also called."  This first happened to me when I was moving from Chicago to Lake Powell, Utah.  My friend, G, pointed it out. He didn't know the fancy Baader-Meinhof term. I'm gonna try to lock it in. Ditto "gaze detection," which I've been secretly trying out on my students.

Speaking of students, I teach preschool. So does one of the main characters of this book. That was simultaneously fun and tedious for me.

Otherwise, I would be interested to find out how the authors collaborated on this - did they write together, alternate chapters, take a specific character's POV...? Hrrm.

No comments:

Post a Comment