Saturday, March 13, 2010

Love That Dog (and) Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech



Free verse. Story poems. Whatever you call them, they're good. I first read Love That Dog years ago, and have used some of it in my 5th grade groups. Guud stuff. I just read Hate That Cat. More of the same.

The story of a boy named Jack, learning about poetry, hating poetry, frustrated by poetry, discovering poetry and the poet inside himself. Inspired by Walter Dean Myers, stuck on Tennyson and getting William Carlos Williams, Jack writes a beautiful story. It doesn't hurt that I, too, love those dogs and hate those cats. (And references to T.S. Eliot, to boot....what's not to savor?)




"I liked when you said
we could try
turning the metaphors
upside down or inside out
and I liked when you used
my chair poem as an example
so
instead of saying
the chair is like a pleasingly plump momma
we could try
my momma is like a pleasingly plump chair

except that now
everyone thinks
my mother is very plump
and looks like a chair"

No comments:

Post a Comment