Saturday, March 13, 2010

Woman Behind the New Deal by Kirstin Downey


Ever heard of Frances Perkins? I won't judge you, because I hadn't either.

When I heard that this was one of my book clubs' picks, I was immediately excited. I've had many conversations (heated debates, honestly) about FDR and all things that resulted from the New Deal. There's a mural in my hometown that was done with CCC funds, and my grandfather served in the Corps. I was less excited when I realized that this historical biography is 400 pages long. Ugh.

So again: heard of Frances Perkins? She was the first female to ever be appointed to the U.S. Cabinet, serving as Roosevelt's Secretary of Labor for his entire presidency. Perkins was the progressive force behind FDR, and often served as his conscience. Under her persuasion, the CCC and the Public Works Administration were born. Oh, and a little thing called the Social Security Act? With it, she created welfare, pensions and unemployment. She also established the first child labor laws, the 40-hour work week and overtime law. Given that she fought tirelessly for these things and labor unions, I'm surprised that my dad hasn't lectured me on Frances Perkins for the last 30 years. Wait, in the American public school system we learn about Betsy Ross and how she sewed a flag.

Pleasantly surprised at how this biography read more like a novel, I was engrossed and fascinated in the way the Frances' life unfolded. Her personal life, while held immensely private, was less than ideal. Raised in priveledge, she shunned her affluence, but used her connections to her advantage later in life. Constantly aware that people of influence could (and would) eventually help the plight of the less fortunate, she was saavy and sharp in maintaining relationships while carving her own path in social work.

This book made me think. It is almost unimaginable how this woman dealt with the glass ceiling in the 30s and 40s. Frances Perkins maintained a career and a family...and changed the future for millions.

1 comment:

  1. I fully intend to read this come 2011. Sounds like a book that's right up my alley. Not to mention the fact that I'm enthralled with the New Deal's history...

    ReplyDelete