Friday, November 12, 2010

The Body Artist by Don DeLillo


DeLillo is an author I have been meaning to read for years. When I started this "read-a-book-a-day-for-a-week" thing, I knew that at 126 pages, The Body Artist was definitely on the list. The only questions I have now are, Why did I wait so long? and, Where to go next?

This is a simple and haunting book. The language is phenomenal...the setting, the sparse dialogue and the complex nature of the plot mix to create perfect alchemy.

Lauren Hartke is an artist testing and defining the limits of the human body. As she mourns the loss of her husband Rey, an ephemeral character enters her life in a quite unusual way. Lauren's interactions and reactions with both of these men are woven through the story in ways both transcendental and concrete. The questions this book lead me to ponder are abstruse, muddy, enigmatic and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment