Sunday, November 21, 2010

27 Wagons Full of Cotton by Tennessee Williams



As I continued to to ween myself from the book-a-day plan, I turned to another old favorite...Tennessee Williams. I spent an afternoon by the wood stove at St. Mark's reading a few one-acts. Much like Eggers and Eliot, trying to wrap up the feelings that envelope me as I read Williams is a near impossibility-so brief sketches of plot will have to do here.

"Something Unspoken" Wealthy southern spinster and her help-very typical Williams.

"Hello from Bertha" A delirious call girl in the red-light district of East St. Louis and her co-workers have an interesting evening.

"The Strangest Kind of Romance" The interactions of a lonely landlady and the transient factory-working borders. And a Russian cat.

"Talk to Me Like the Rain And Let Me Listen..." Agh. The beauty of this title is painful. The words exchanged between this waking couple during the early daylight hours are just as georgeously excruciating. Foreign intimacy at it's best. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment