Sunday, November 21, 2010

Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

The Four Quartets were actually published separately initially, all during the 1940s as Eliot was spending time in England. Facing both the air raids of World War II and declining health, Eliot addressed matters of time and man's universal search for a place within it.

I've long reached to Eliot's plays for comfort, but never really his poems. I find that it's difficult to analyze poetry when I'm simply reading to read. I prefer to let the words and rhythm speak to me in the moment. Especially when contemplating such big issues, as we all bring our own pictures of redemption to a text.

Eliot has a voice that speaks what it believes and what it questions quite directly. My appreciation comes in that his voice also allows for the reader to have their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment