Wednesday, December 15, 2010

And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou


Like Williams and Eliot earlier this season, I'm cheating by going to Angelou. Or rather, I'm cheating you by posting a "review" here. Maya Angelou doesn't pop up early on my list of favorites, or sometimes even at all. Which is ridiculous, as I was reminded one night as I grabbed this from the living room.

Whether swallowed whole and digested in one sitting or taken in slowly and ruminated upon for days, this volume has a profound effect on me. Angelou's words point out who I once was, who I am now....and how those two people have grown together and apart over the years. These words quickly revive the brazen fire of my youth, applaud the confidence of my character and encourage the quiet strength that I've let lie dormant for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment