Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen




With the buzz about Freedom and nothing but good things being said, I really wanted to pick it up right away. Alas, my book club will probably be reading it soon....and I've had The Corrections in my possession for nearly 9 years, so I thought I'd start there.

First of all, this book is extremely readable, and Franzen is a gifted writer. However, none of his characters are very likeable. I was originally intrigued by the introduction of Alfred and Enid, then drawn in by their younger son Chip. It quickly turned. It's a real tale of a real American family, but perhaps therein lies the problem. A bit too real? When I turn to reading to escape, maybe I want to read about circumstances more removed from my own.

(I'm abandoning this post, for I haven't been able to write anything for nearly 2 months. However, if you've read it, engage in conversation....I actually have lots to say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment