Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Jim the Boy by Tony Earley

When I worked for B & N in Chicago, there was a book rep that visited our store often. It was quickly discovered that we had similar tastes in books, and just as quickly random advance copies and galleys would show up (mailed to my house!). Jim the Boy was found as a result. I read it in 2000, loved it, and put a name for a potential child on the list as a result of one of the characters.

When at the Tattered Cover a few months ago, I found the sequel. Being that I rarely remember plot, I reread this in order to catch myself up.


Jim Glass is a 10-year-old growing up in the 1930s, with a widowed mother and 3 uncles as his caretakers. They live on a farm in North Carolina. It's a beautifully written simplistic story about family and discovery. I was glad to return to this simple time of discovery with Jim the Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment