Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Phantoms by Chad Simpson



Last night I was exhausted. I'd finished a book earlier in the day, and was (am) in the middle of another two. But what I really wanted was sleep. So I put on Miles Davis Kind of Blue and started my nightly routine. Sure to be asleep within minutes, I picked up these very short stories-hoping to make it through one. The first paragraph caught me thinking about how short story writing is a specific talent. Next thing I know, Kind of Blue is over. And I'd read all nine of the stories.

Chad Simpson is one of these specific talents. I found him through my friend Ben's bookstore. In Galesburg. Simpson teaches at Knox, lives in Monmouth. Oh, and as been published in Esquire and McSweeney's. Bingo.

Huh. The last few weeks have found my tastes changing. Poems and short stories. Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. Jill--

    Thanks so much for checking out this little chapbook o' mine. I just last week downloaded a cheap version of Kind of Blue to my iTunes and so have been relaxing to it quite a bit the last several days. I really love that you were listening to that album while reading some stories of mine. And: I really love that you took the time to post such kind words about this thing I wrote.

    All best,
    Chad

    ReplyDelete