Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars



When I read this as an elementary school kid, it made me cry. That's all I really remember. So when I saw it used for $1, I had to pick it up again. While reading it, no less than 3 people noticed and commented that they loved this book, too. This time I read it basically unaffected. (Although, thinking of it now, I realize that this Newberry winner is one that makes me wish I still had a fifth grade reading group...those kids would certainly make some connections that would make me beam.)

Sara is fourteen. And awkward. Obvious, right? Although, unlike most teenagers, Sara confronts her lack of dexterity head-on. Her ungainly feet cause her as much discomfort as her dysfunctional family. Her older sister, Wanda, is beautiful and unsympathetic. Her parents are both absent, leaving Aunt Willie to care for the sisters and Charlie, their mentally impaired brother.

Used to routine and amorous of his older sisters, Charlie is intrigued when the swans migrate to a nearby lake. One night, Charlie wanders off in the wee hours seeking the comfort of the peaceful figures. The community's search for the missing boy teaches Sara many things she thought she already knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment