Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee


I recently finished working on a show, and have started auditioning again, which found me digging through old stuff in search of new monologues. In my pile of scripts, there is Virginia Woolf.

I served as assistant director on this show back in the 90s, with an uber-talented group. We were tight-knit and virtually lived and breathed this script for the requisite 2 months...and then some. I'd challenge that anyone who's worked on this show has found themselves transformed. It's the kind of haunting material that seeps into your being.

Disturbing, lyrical, and filled with the stream-of-consciousness that Woolf is famously known for, I found myself hearing the voices and being wrapped up in the movement of the story. Albee created a world that is absolutely a tribute to Woolf (so much so that the screenplay for the 1966 film changed only two lines-and that purely for the sake of location). This is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment